Thursday, March 1, 2012

Why Not Me?

A friend of mine was telling me about his daughter who, while she was going through cancer treatment, encountered a lot of people also receiving treatment who kept asking, why me? This man's sweet daughter's reply was, "Why not me?"

This story touched my heart very deeply. I've been thinking about it all day. I'm a firm believer that God puts people in our paths for a variety of reasons. Some people are there to love us, others to challenge us. We have people in our lives that we are meant to serve, lift, or touch in some way...or they us. I feel that this family was put into my life for a reason. I see them an average of two to three times a week, and each time I come away feeling like I've been healed or blessed in some indescribable way.

This friend had asked me if I felt like, "Why me?" when faced with all the challenges I've had in my life. I really try to keep myself so busy counting my blessings that I can't look at my challenges in a negative light. I try to keep my focus on others not myself, because when my attention turns inward, I end up in very bad places.  And ultimately, I know that my situation could be so much worse than it is. I consider myself so very blessed! Yet the past few weeks, I have felt weary and worried and weak at certain points. I even turned into a blubbering idiot when talking with one of my friends about how things are. I couldn't stop crying, and it just came out of nowhere. So I have been asking for patience and strength to be able to deal with everything that needs to be addressed, and to be lifted above my situation to see things from a fresh perspective. I feel like this conversation today was one of many parts of the Lord's answer to this prayer. If the Lord sees fit to lay these difficulties at my feet, to challenge me with a course of action that stretches my faith and my reliance on his tender mercies, then "Why not me?"

I've been praying for charity of late, because I feel like this will be a critical element for me to have in my future career, together with discernment. The Lord has already blessed me with insight from time to time into the hearts and/or needs of others. Many times I have no idea why he gives me that insight, but I try to do good where and when I can with what I've been shown. Since I've been praying for these two things, I've seen that the Lord has blessed me with opportunities to see and appreciate the human condition. I'm so grateful for friends who will open their hearts to me and help me see the goodness and light all around me. I'm grateful that they are willing to share a part of their light with me. I only hope that I can return the favor for those whose lives I touch, as well.

No comments: