Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Testing, Testing, 1-2-3

I had my first cognition test today. Our entire grade rests upon three test grades, and today was the first. I studied hard, felt comfortable that I knew what I knew, and went to sleep last night. During the night, I dreamed that I went to the test, fell asleep early in the hour, and woke up with the teacher saying, "You have five minutes left." I looked down at my paper and it was completely blank.

I freaked.

This morning, I skipped the Bishop's storehouse and stayed home to study more. This teacher is absolutely brilliant, but he's about as easy to follow as a firefly on meth, and I just knew his test was going to be hard.  I recalled his conversation last week with the class, in which he stated that you could fail the first test and walk away from the class with a B or a C (if you mended your ways and scored A's on the last two tests). I don't want a B or a C, I want an A.

He gave no study guide. He rarely if ever follows the book (which, by the way, is very good).  I kept great notes during class...or did I? Panic began to set in.

The kids were home today from school, so my morning was frequented by interruptions and demands. Just before I left, Kelly was very upset and insisted that she was going with her friend to the mall whether I wanted her to or not, and I threatened to ground her until she was 18 if she did so. Needless to say, I was in a very unstable frame of mind, and I left late. I arrived in my class ten minutes early, but  someone had taken "my" seat. (I always sit in the front so I'm not distracted by others, among other reasons.) I had to sit near the back of the room.

The test was precisely as hard as I predicted it would be. I went slowly and carefully analyzed out my answers. I marked all the questions I felt I got correct, as well as those I had no idea about. In the end, if I missed all the questions I thought I might be wrong on, and didn't miss any of the ones I thought I got right, then I might get a B on the test. He grades on a curve, but all it takes is one person to blow that curve. (sigh) I know I did my best...I just hope it's good enough!

No comments: