I love it when everyday things refine my focus. It's time to clean the pool filter again. It involves taking apart the filter, rinsing the filter panels, reassembling the pool filter and adding DE. I remember the first time I tried to do it, I really thought I couldn't do it by myself. It seemed too hard, too heavy, too messy, and too time-intensive! Each time I did it, I got a little better at it. Several times later, it was still one of the worst, most hated parts of my regimen, but at that point, I knew I could do it myself. Now it's much easier, and it's almost therapeutic!
I keep thinking that maybe my life will seem that way, eventually. What seems so hard, fruitless, and messy right now won't be that way in the future. At some point, this will all become easier. Right now, I need to focus on what is really important, however challenging it seems. The hardest part is taking the risk of starting, of making mistakes, of getting dirty. That's true in life as well as in love.
I have several dear friends who are dealing with cancer right now. As I've talked with them and observed them through their battles, I've been gathering up pearls of wisdom, things we know already but don't really live unless something compels us. Here are some of the thoughts they've shared: My grandmother used to tell me that before cancer, so many things used to seem important, but cancer was a great filter...it showed you what was really important and what you have taken for granted. One of the blessings of cancer is perspective, several friends have told me. Life is so stinking short. If you find love, let it fill you up. If you need love, seek it and be open to it. Love life and those around you like today is your last day, and for heaven's sake, don't hold grudges...forgive and ask for forgiveness. See God's hand all around you!
I'm grateful for all of my friends, but especially those that take the time to teach me through their lives and their example.
No comments:
Post a Comment