Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Better Day

Saturday I woke the kids bright and early so that we could go to Woodward Park and work with the "Mormon Helping Hands" group to beautify and tidy up the park. The kids were excited to be doing a service project. I dropped them off with my friend Keith and then headed out to take Kelly to City College where she had a speech competition for Chinese students. I dropped her off for registration and then went back to the park, where I was able to work for an hour with Keith, the kids, my friend David Sears, and several members of other wards at the Parkview Shelter parking lot.

After that hour, I had to go home to change into appropriate clothing for the wedding reception later that morning, and go watch Kelly's presentation in Chinese. I was really proud of her! She went first and was really nervous, but I thought she did an amazing job.

After that, I went to the wedding reception for my friends Scott and Michelle. It was a lot of fun and featured GREAT Indian food. It's so uplifting to me to see people in love and full of hope for the future. It gives me hope that someday I may get another chance to share my life and eternity with someone who loves me. It also simultaneously depresses me a bit, because I long for it so much and feel like I may never get another chance. (I have had many heart-to-heart talks with my Father in Heaven about this matter. He knows I believe I am ready, after nearly seven years alone. The timing is up to him, but I am determined to do what I can to prepare.) The reception was beautiful. Michelle looked fantastic, and she and her husband were blissfully happy. I love the story of how they met.When Michelle came to our ward, I felt like I had known her forever...she is a wonderful lady. Kelly met me there later to deliver her hugs and personal congratulations, and we went home.

Can you believe we actually ran out of gas a few blocks from home? That's what I get for postponing the pain at the pump a bit too long. I thought I would have enough gas to drop Kelly at home then hit the gas station, but it didn't work out that way. That's why I pay the big bucks to CSAA every year...so they can send me cute tow truck drivers to rescue me from my own stupidity. (smile)

In the afternoon, several of us took naps, and we worked on various projects including tidying up a bit around the house. Toward evening, I was still feeling blue, so I talked to a friend and invited him to go to a movie at the $3 theater, then out for dessert afterward. It was just what I needed...entering the alternate reality of the movie theater!

No comments: