Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Entrenched

One of the things I love about working with the elderly - have always loved about working with the elderly - is the glimpse into the hearts of families and individuals that it can offer.

When a family member seeks me out to share a story, ask for insight, or just to hear some reassurance, I am reminded of the hearts that are bound together through sorrow, joy and the tedium of life. And sometimes, I am granted the privilege of more than just a glimpse. I observe with a full heart the tenderness of a man with Alzheimer's who cannot remember much but surely remembers his wife as he gently takes her fussing, careworn fingers in his hand to kiss and caress and then hold her hand in his. I can't help but smile at a daughter who comes faithfully throughout the week as she tends to her father, and finishes her visits by looking him squarely in the face, telling him how much she loves him and showering his head with kisses.

I witness families gathering, celebrating the 98th, the 100th, the 101st birthdays of their loved ones, and taking joy in making memories together. I have been deeply privileged to serve families as they sit by the bedside of their loved ones as they prepare to depart this world. I am bound to these families in a deep and profound way.

And then there are those individuals who have little or no family to support them. Throughout my time working with seniors, these are the ones my heart can't resist. Yes, even the cranky, crotchety ones. I find joy and meaning in helping even those who are difficult to love.

At times like these, I feel my calling to work with, serve and love families and seniors as a tangible and valuable part of my role on earth. These moments exemplify the commandment to love one another, and they touch me deeply.

I am so grateful for the richness my life has been blessed with. I may not be wealthy in terms of money, but my bounty is overflowing with the blessings of service, and I am most grateful for it!

No comments: