Saturday, September 28, 2013

18th Birthday

"O be wise; what can I say more?"
Kelly's birthday gift from me.
(Hand-blown glass from Creek Bottom Glass.)
Kelly, my first and oldest "from-my-body" daughter, turned 18 yesterday. I brought her strawberry cream cheese danishes from La Boulangerie in the morning for breakfast (one for each of us, actually). Morgan came over to hang out for a bit, and then I took her and the kids to Skywalk for an afternoon session of bouncing and general madness on the trampolines there. Her friend Leah and her boyfriend joined them there, and so did Erin & Nick, who drove down from Sacramento for the weekend to help Kelly celebrate. (While they were playing, I went to buy groceries, a task I've been putting off for far too long). After I picked up the kids and took them home (except Kelly who went with Morgan & Etc. for a late lunch), I crashed to get rid of the migraine that assaulted me.

The evening was filled with baking cakes, making tacos and hanging out. Leah, Kelly, Erin, Laine and Morgan sat on the floor in the living room and learned the cup song, which was a lot of fun to watch. Everyone was stunned at Laine's beautiful singing voice, which really made her cheeks the most delightful shade of pink. All in all, the day was filled with lots of laughter, giggling, play, and silliness.

And now, I'm putting my seat-belt on for the wild ride ahead of me. I've done all I can to teach her what is right...now she has to decide for herself what she will do with her life. "O be wise; what can I say more?"

No comments: