Saturday, April 28, 2012

Self Improvement Project

As part of one of my classes this semester, we had to take on a self-improvement project. I decided to try to increase my level of activity each day since I had become so obsessive about studying that I quit being as active as I needed to.

I put a pedometer on my shoe as a visual and auditory reminder to walk every day. I also made sure I wore my tennis shoes by putting them by my bed each day. I had a post-it note in my car to remind me to park further away from places I visited. I also arranged to walk with others a few times each week, but that didn't work out as well as I hoped.

I went from an average of 2,500 steps a day to an average of 6,500 steps a day and I'm still working on it! I wanted to post my power point for you, but apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to do that yet.

I'm going to continue until I'm getting at least 10,000 steps in four days a week. Because I'm coming up on the end of the semester, I'm going to need to find new ways to get walking into my schedule. I'm going to walk 2-3 days a week for about 3 miles. I'm also going to start the couch potato to 5k program again, which requires three days a week. We'll see if I can get past the painful shin splints and weak knees and actually get to the point where I can run 3 miles straight!

No comments: